Featured Link

Nov 11, 2011

80 Is it okay to test the Lord




In the Old Testament Book of Judges, Gideon the soldier tested to see whether God would keep a promise  

Judges 6:36 Gideon said to God, "If you [God] will save Israel by my hand as you have promised-- 37 look, I will place a wool fleece on the threshing floor. If there is dew only on the fleece and all the ground is dry, then I will know that you will save Israel by my hand, as you said." 38 And that is what happened. Gideon rose early the next day; he squeezed the fleece and wrung out the dew--a bowlful of water.

Even when God passed the test, Gideon devised a second test 

39 Then Gideon said to God, "Do not be angry with me. Let me make just one more request. Allow me one more test with the fleece. This time make the fleece dry and the ground covered with dew." 40 That night God did so. Only the fleece was dry; all the ground was covered with dew.




But in the Gospel of Matthew, Jesus rebuked Satan for tempting him to test God. Jesus declared that it was wrong to test God 

Matthew 4:7 Jesus answered him, “It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'” 

Recap: Gideon tested God. But Jesus says you mustn't. Thus Judges vs Matthew. 

No comments:

Post a Comment